TRANSPORT OF THE HUMAN REMAINS TO REPUBLIC OF SERBIA
Transport of human remains, either decedent’s body or cremated ashes requires a permit called SPROVODNICA; the following documents and procedures are required:
1. A valid passport of the Republic of Serbia belonging to the deceased.
2. Original death certificate, certified by Apostille seal (document is certified by the Secretary of State - Office for the Authentication of Documents).
3. *Statement that the deceased did not die of any contagious disease, issued by the local health authority.
4. Burial-transit permit issued by American authorities for transport of the human remains to Republic of Serbia.
5. *Certificate issued by a Funeral Home stating that the human remains were not previously buried, that they were prepared for transport according to the international regulations and placed in a hermetically sealed metal/zinc box.
6. * A statement from the funeral home as proof that the deceased person was identified and that casket contains nothing but the remains of the named deceased,
7. A letter from the Funeral home stating the flight itinerary, place (town) to which the remains are being shipped, point of entry into Republic of Serbia and full name of the escort, if any,
• If the deceased was not a citizen of Republic of Serbia, or did not have a valid Serbian passport, it will be necessary to present a certificate of the burial place provided by the cemetery in Republic of Serbia.
• If the cause of death was contagious disease, or if the deceased has been exhumed, the Consulate General cannot issue the permit (SPROVODNICA) without the approval of proper authority of Republic of Serbia.
• If the remains are to be only transported through the territory of Republic of Serbia, beside above listed documents a permit (Sprovodnica) from the country of burial must also be obtained before the transportation is permitted.
• Numbers 3,5 and 6 with an asterisk do not refer to transfer of the urn
• Money order in the amount of $ 9.00 and a pre-addressed return envelope with affixed return postage (postage of Fedex or UPS is not accepted).
OBTAINING DOCUMENTS FROM THE REPUBLIC OF SERBIA
If you require documents from the Republic of Serbia, we wish to inform you that this Consulate General can obtain the following documents:
• Birth Certificate (excerpts from the Register of Vital Statistics – Births)
• Marriage Certificate (excerpts from the Register of Vital Statistics – Marriages)
• Death Certificate (excerpts from the Register of Vital Statistics – Deaths)
• Proof of Citizenship
•Criminal record Certificate
• Along with the request one must submit photocopies of all available documents from the Republic of Serbia;
• If the request is submitted by mail one must enclose a pre-stamped, pre-addressed return envelope with adequate postage (postage of Fedex or UPS is not accepted).
• Consular fee for obtaining the above domestics can paid in cash or by Money-Order issued to Consulate General of the Republic of Serbia in New York. The fee is non-refundable.